- Commission for Additional Sources of Energy (CASE) in 1981.
- Department of Non-Conventional Energy Sources (DNES) in 1982.
- Ministry of Non-Conventional Energy Sources (MNES) in 1992.
- Ministry of Non-Conventional Energy Sources (MNES) renamed as Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) in 2006.
The Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) is a Scientific Ministry which has been assigned the following subjects/business under the Allocation of Business Rules:
- Research and development of Biogas and programmes relating to Biogas units
- Commission for Additional Sources of Energy (CASE)
- Solar Energy including Solar Photovoltaic devices and their development, production and applications
- Programme relating to improved chulhas and research and development thereof
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency (IREDA)
- All matters relating to small/mini/micro hydel projects of and below 25 MW capacity
- Research and development of other non-conventional/renewable sources of energy and programmer relating thereto
- Tidal energy
- Integrated Rural Energy Program (IREP)
- Geothermal Energy
Facilitate research, design, development, manufacture, and deployment of new and renewable energy systems/devices for transportation, portable and stationary applications in rural, urban, industrial and commercial sectors through:
Technology Mapping and Benchmarking
- Identify Research, Design, Development and Manufacture thrust areas and facilitate the same
- Lay down standards, specifications and performance parameters at par with international levels and facilitate industry in attaining the same
- Align costs of new and renewable energy products and services with international levels and facilitate industry in attaining the same
- Appropriate international level quality assurance accreditation and facilitate industry in obtaining the same
- Provide sustained feedback to manufacturers on performance parameters of new and renewable energy products and services with the aim of effecting continuous upgrade so as to attain international levels in the shortest possible time span
- Facilitate industry in becoming internationally competitive and a net foreign exchange earner Resource Survey, Assessment, Mapping and Dissemination
- Identify areas in which new and renewable energy products and services need to be deployed in keeping with the goal of national energy security and energy independence
- Resource Survey, Assessment, Mapping and Dissemination.
- Deployment strategy for various indigenously developed and manufactured new and renewable energy products and services
Provision of cost-competitive new and renewable energy supply options
- Commission for extra Sources Of Energy (CASE) In 1981
- Department Of Non-Conventional Energy Sources (DNES) In 1982
- Ministry Of Non-Conventional Energy Sources (MNES) In 1992
- Ministry of latest And Renewable Energy (MNRE) In 2006